Monday, March 17, 2008

Please read the contract before cancelling

Unfortunately, I have just had an unpleasant experience with a venue in Hull.
I phoned the venue the day before I was booked to appear to double check the arrangements, to be told he thought someone else had been in touch to cancel me.
I explained that they had not and there was nothing I could do about it at this late stage anyway.
I listened to his excuses, and although I was now entitled to full fee, made him a very generous offer for a cancellation fee. He refused and tried the old cop out of he did not sign and return the contract. I pointed out that in British law once you offer someone an engagement (even verbally) it becomes a contract (although this one is often hard to prove without witnesses), however under the terms and conditions of my contract even if he did not sign and return the contract if he does not raise any objections within 7 days it is deemed to have been accepted.
He still feels he is exempt from this, even though I pointed out that I am a member of Equity and that they have successfully sued Booker's, several times, in the past under these terms.
I have now referred this to Equity who will claim my full fee, plus interest, plus any court costs.
This is now going to cost him a lot more than the cancellation fee I was willing to accept!

No comments: